“Too Many Medication Safety Issues in Australia”
Literature Review: Medication Safety in Australia 2013 is the third in a series surveying the available literature and information on medication safety in Australian health care. The first was published in 2002, and the second in 2008. Since the second review was published, the evidence base for medication-related problems and medication safety activities in Australia has expanded considerably.
The 2013 review provides important new information on the:
- Extent and nature of medication errors in Australia;
- Effectiveness of strategies to prevent medication errors.
The review is presented in three parts:
- Part 1: The extent of medication-related problems in Australia
- Part 2: Strategies for improving medication safety in the Australian healthcare setting
- Part 3: Medication safety intervention strategies: the international evidence
Writing in the foreword to the review, Professor Lloyd Sansom states
In the community there is growing evidence for multidisciplinary approaches to improving medication management including collaborative home medicines reviews.
The following statistics from the report also serve to highlight the need for medication management review services in the community:
- 230,000 medication related hospital admissions annually
- An annual cost of medication-related admissions of $1.2billion
- Medication related hospital admissions remains at about 2-3% of all admissions
- 12-80% of hospital discharge summaries contain a discrepancy
- Over 90% of residents in aged care facilities have a medication-related problem, with an average of 3-4 medication related problems
- People who participate in home medicines reviews have between 2.5 to 5 medication-related problems per person identified as part of the review
It is our hope and great desire to reduce these severe statistics in Australia, and internationally with the implementation of Our Pills Talk Medication Safety App.
Mutlilingual pills from Corum
Corum Health has announced a partnership with ‘Our Pills Talk’ to integrate its mobile app with Corum LOTS Dispense.
Our App Wins Prize
The Our Pills Talk Medication Safety App has won first prize in the "Enabling System Change" category of the NSW government's Apps4NSW competition.Read More...
Sky News Interview
Watch Steve Cohen being interviewed by Sky Business News.Watch video...
Medical Safety Articles
Literature Review: Medication Safety in Australia 2013
This report surveys the available literature and information on medication safety in Australian health care.
Avoiding hospitals and doctors the best cure for healthcare woes
The Coalition government has told us we need to have an “everything on the table” debate on how to rein in healthcare expenditure.